Children are a favourite subject of photographers. They represent an innocence and freshness that can’t be found anywhere else. So if you would like to try out taking pictures of babies and children, then you have made a good pick.
Here are some ideas that you can try in order to achieve the great child photography images:
- The number one thing to keep in mind whenever you are working with children is that you have to bring in a ton of patience with your work. Children are generally restless and they wouldn’t pay attention to your instructions most of the time. Losing your patience would not resolve anything however. If you can’t be patient with kids then you probably need to try something else, like taking pictures of rock maybe, because this would not work for you at all.
- Let them play with toys while you are shooting them. It would help a lot if they could play with their favourite toy. You don’t have to give any instructions then. All you have to do is to wait for that moment when their faces would light up with delight and you could feel the connection between them and their toys. That would be a priceless moment to catch.
- Your main subjects are children. So try not to have a cluttered foreground or background which could distract those who are looking at the picture. Try to have a simple plain background that could highlight the child.
- Try to make it so that you that the colour of the child’s clothes would stand out from the area where you are going to take the pictures. This means that you have to be familiar with the place or you should have been there before.
- Late afternoons and early mornings are by far the best time when you should start taking the pictures. The quality of the light during those periods are not so harsh as well as the shadows that are cast. If you must really take pictures when the sun is high, then at least look for a good shade.
- When taking portrait pictures, the eyes are the focus. If you are taking the shot at an angle from their face, then your focus should be the eye that is nearer to you. This can be tricky as children would not sit still generally.
These are just some of the things that you can do in order to achieve the best child photography images.